Graduate Student Organization
Ziad M. Abu Rish
Graduate Student Representative to MESA's Board of Directors
Students may contact him at email@example.com.
Graduate Student Paper Prize 2013
Submission Deadline: June 15, 2013
The Middle East Studies Association invites university and college faculty to nominate graduate student research papers on any aspect of post 600 CE Middle East studies for the 2013 Graduate Student Paper Prize. The author of the winning paper will be presented with an award of $250 and hand-calligraphed certificate at the MESA Awards Ceremony held during the MESA annual meeting in October.
Papers will be reviewed using a blind process so the author’s name should NOT be included on the title page, footer, or header. Papers will be evaluated according to originality of research and conceptualization (or interpretation), cogency of argument, and clarity of writing.
- A written nomination provided by a faculty member. (Since it is a blind review it can be sent via email).
- Author must be a current graduate student; proof of student status provided (this can be a letter from the department which can be sent via email).
- The paper must have been produced between July 1, 2012 and June 15, 2013.
- The paper must not exceed 7500 words (excluding bibliography).
- The paper must not be or ever been submitted for publication.
- The paper needs to use the following format:
- 8 ½ x 11 paper
- Standard font (such as Arial or Times Roman)
- 1.25” margins
- Page limit of 30 pages
- Black and white (if using color photos, must provide three copies of paper)
- IJMES standards for endnotes (http://assets.cambridge.org/MES/MES_ifc.pdf)
To submit: Complete the submission form and send it with materials to Rose Veneklasen, MESA, 1219 N Santa Rita Ave, University of Arizona, Tucson AZ 85721
Questions about the award may be directed to Rose at
Student Travel Grant
Application deadline: August 30, 2013.
MESA’s Board of Directors has established a modest fund to help subsidize travel expenses for students who are presenting papers at the MESA annual meeting. For the 2013 meeting, MESA will award an as yet undetermined number of $250 grants.
- To be eligible for a travel grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- current student in a degree-seeking program during academic year 2013-14;
- current MESA student member for 2013;
- presenting a paper (panel or poster session) as part of the official MESA 2013 meeting program;
- must travel a minimum of 250 miles to attend the annual meeting;
- must not be receiving funding to attend the meeting from any other source;
- must present their paper at the MESA meeting as scheduled.
To apply, students should submit a letter of application by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail outlining their eligibility, and have their academic department chair submit to MESA a letter confirming that they are not receiving departmental support to attend the meeting.
All eligible applicants’ names will be entered into a lottery system for random selection. The awards will be announced shortly after the deadline and will be made by cash payment at the MESA meeting.
Graduate Student Listserv
Student members of MESA are automatically included in this student-only listserv, managed by the Student Representative to the Board. The listserv has traditinoally been used to circulate information on funding opportunities, calls for papers, conference announcements, etc. It is also a means for students to seek and give comments on subjects of interest to fellow students.